One in three dogs will run off and get lost. Without identification 90% of them won’t make it home. All pets should wear collar tags imprinted with their name and the phone number of their owner or veterinarian. Unfortunately these tags can come off. Tattooing pets with a number – often the owner’s social security number – is another method of identifying pets. However, veterinarians and pet rescue experts say tattoos can blur over time, making them difficult to read. They can also be altered. It is possible that duplicate tattoo numbers exist. For these reasons Northland Animal Hospital recommends microchip identification. Microchips are a permanent form of identification with a unique number that cannot be altered.
HomeAgain is an advanced pet identification and retrieval system. A microchip with a unique identification code is implanted between the shoulder blades of the pet. The pet is enrolled with the HomeAgain Pet Recovery Service. HomeAgain maintains a national database and is available 24-hours daily, 365 days a year. When a lost pet is found, it can be scanned at an animal shelter or the clinic of a participating veterinarian. The animal’s identification number is called into HomeAgain (1-866-PET-ID24), and the pet owner is notified immediately.
Pets enrolled in the system also receive collar tags to wear with their HomeAgain identification number and our toll-free number. The tags alone help identify lost pets, but remember tags/collars can come off easily. A microchip provides permanent identification that remains in place.
Northland A.H. has created a package that includes you microchip administration and enrollment into the HomeAgain Advantage Program. The HomeAgain advantage is its comprehensive resources assembled to protect your pet for life.
How the membership helps you if your pet is lost:
- HomeAgain will instantly send an email alert to shelters, vet clinics and PetRescuers in the surrounding area where your pet was lost.
- HomeAgain offers on-call support by trained counselors to assist in your pet’s recovery.
- HomeAgain will provide you with a tool to create a “lost pet poster” with your pet’s picture so you can begin the search for your pet.
- HomeAgain offers the immediate engagement of a network of PetRescuers in your area to actively look for your pet if he or she should become lost.
- HomeAgain has a 24/7 network of veterinarians to help you by phone in the case of a medical emergency.
We’re raising the bar in pet recovery with advanced technology and value-added member services, including:
- A Universal WorldScan(TM) Reader, which displays ID codes for all brands of microchips
- An ISO-compliant 134.2 kHz microchip with patented Bio-Bond(TM) anti-migration technology (also available in 125 kHz)
- Lifetime pet registration in the HomeAgain database
Northland A.H. together with HomeAgain gives your pet the best protection possible!
Help find lost pets in your neighborhood.